The days of free internet from Reliance Jio, the telecom operator from Indias richest man, are now behind us.
The 4G-only operator said it will be withdrawing the complimentary benefits which included three months of free internet access that it previously committed to with the “Jio Summer Surprise” plan.
The move comes as the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India “advises” Reliance Jio to discontinue giving away more free internet to its subscribers, the telecom operator said.
Owned by Indias largest industrial house RIL, Reliance Jio has offered free internet access to its subscribers for seven months in the nation.
The duration of the free internet, as part of companys “welcome offer,” ended last week. Reliance Jio announced that though users will have to pay now if they want to continue using its 4G service, those who pay in the next few days will be offered three months of free internet access later this year.
“We examined it and found that it was not in accordance with regulatory framework, so we advised them to stop it,” TRAI chairman RS Sharma told PTI.
The move is unlikely to hurt Reliance Jios user base. The telecom operator said last week more than 72 million subscribers had already paid to use the service.
Additionally, Reliance Jio is still undercutting the competition by offering more enticing data plans. In a statement, Reliance said it will be “fully complying” with the regulators advice.
Some people are understandably not pleased, while others are just confused.
Reliance Jio must refund subscribers 303 as soon as possible for misleading Hoinga Hoinga offer
Vishu (@PakkaMumbaikar) April 7, 2017
WATCH: Giant robot arm mounted on a truck can build a brick house in 48 hours
More From this publisher : HERE